The Mountain States features six nonfiction informational text lessons with engaging higher and lower level hands-on activities to provide students with an in-depth study of the six Mountain States – Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming.
Students will explore the history of each Mountain State’s first people, early explorers, famous colonists and leaders, early government, important battles and wars, and each state’s journey to statehood.
The Mountain States includes a balanced mix of lower and higher level hands-on activities that focus on:
- questions after each lesson – assessing informational text comprehension
- language skills activities – fostering literacy in Social Studies
- Mountain Man biography – pre-writing questions that guide through the creative writing process included!
- mapping skills – using number pairs to plot points on a coordinate grid
- mapping skills – utilizing cardinal and intermediate directions
- grid math activities – using number and letter pairs to solve a mystery puzzle
- scale mapping – using scale rulers to measure the route traveled by the Transcontinental Railroad
- design a scale map – implementing map making knowledge and skills
- vocabulary and states/capitals quizzes
Context-appropriate Glossary, Answer pages, and Grading Rubrics included!
The Mountain States is one of 8 titles in our US Regions Series. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire US REGIONS BUNDLE.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!
© 2019-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Splash! Publications • Created by Teachers • It Just Makes Sense.
If you like our Mountain States Unit, please leave us a review. A huge thanks in advance!