The Pacific States features five nonfiction informational text lessons with engaging higher and lower level hands-on activities to provide students with an in-depth study of the five Pacific States – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington.
Students will explore the history of each Pacific State’s first people, early explorers, famous colonists and leaders, early government, important battles and wars, and each state’s journey to statehood.
The Pacific States includes a balanced mix of lower and higher level hands-on activities that focus on:
- questions after each lesson – assessing informational text comprehension
- language skills activities – reinforcing literacy in Social Studies
- KWLH chart – followed by expository writing practice
- mapping skills – using number pairs to plot points on a coordinate grid
- grid math activities – using number and letter pairs to solve a mystery puzzle
- Lewis and Clark biography – using thought-provoking discussion questions to stimulate critical thinking
- primary and secondary source differentiation and research project
- time line – tracing historical events by using math skills to solve a mystery puzzle
- vocabulary and states/capitals quizzes
Context-appropriate Glossary, Answer pages, and Grading Rubrics included!
The Pacific States is one of 8 titles in our US Regions Series. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire US REGIONS BUNDLE.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!
© 2019-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Splash! Publications • Created by Teachers • It Just Makes Sense.
If you like our Pacific States Unit, please leave us a review. A huge thanks in advance!