The Southeast States features 12 nonfiction informational text lessons with engaging higher and lower level hands-on activities to provide students with an in-depth study of the 12 Southeast States – Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Students will explore the history of each Southeast State’s first people, early explorers, famous colonists and leaders, early government, important battles and wars, and each state’s journey to statehood.
The Southeast States includes a balanced mix of lower and higher level hands-on activities that focus on:
- questions after each lesson – assessing informational text comprehension
- language skills activities – fostering literacy in Social Studies
- primary and secondary source differentiation and research projects
- mapping skills – using number pairs on a coordinate grid
- mapping skills – utilizing cardinal and intermediate directions
- concept web and KWLH chart – applying the writing process
- grid math activities – using number and letter pairs to solve a mystery puzzle
- journal writing activities – pre-writing questions that guide through the creative writing process included!
- persuasive proposal to the king – written from an explorer’s point of view (pre-writing questions and proposal outlines included!)
- vocabulary and states/capitals quizzes
Context-appropriate Glossary, Answer pages, and Grading Rubrics included!
The Southeast States is one of 8 titles in our US Regions Series. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire US REGIONS BUNDLE.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!
© 2019-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Splash! Publications • Created by Teachers • It Just Makes Sense.
If you like our Southeast States Unit, please leave us a review. A huge thanks in advance!