Southwest States US Regions Interactive Notebook Unit
The Southwest States is an Interactive Notebook Unit that features five nonfiction informational text lessons with engaging higher and lower level hands-on activities to provide students with an in-depth study of the four Southwest States – Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
Students will explore the history of each Southwest State’s first people, early explorers, famous colonists and leaders, early government, important battles and wars, and each state’s journey to statehood.
The Southwest States Interactive Notebook Unit includes a balanced mix of lower and higher level hands-on activities that focus on:
- questions after each lesson – assessing informational text comprehension
- language skills activities – reinforcing literacy in Social Studies
- Southwest States research and puzzle activity
- mapping skills – using lines of longitude, latitude, equator, and prime meridian
- mapping skills – utilizing cardinal and intermediate directions
- Abraham Lincoln biography – thought-provoking discussion questions to stimulate critical thinking
- grid math activities – number and letter pairs to solve a mystery puzzle
- journal writing activity – writing entries about life on the Trail of Tears
- scale mapping – using scale rulers to measure the route traveled by Spanish conquistador Francisco Coronado through the Southwest
- vocabulary and states/capitals quizzes
- seven Interactive Notebook assignments – all patterns and step-by-step directions included!
Context-appropriate Glossary, Answer pages, and Grading Rubrics included!
The Southwest States is one of 8 titles in our US Regions Series. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire US REGIONS BUNDLE.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!
© 2019-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Splash! Publications • Created by Teachers • It Just Makes Sense.
You may also like…
Westward Expansion Interactive Notebook Unit$24.95 Add to cart
Arizona History Program – 3rd Grade$898.50 – $1,098.50 View products
4th Grade New Mexico History Curriculum$898.50 – $1,098.50 View products
Civil War Interactive Notebook Unit$24.95 Add to cart
4th Grade Texas History Curriculum$898.50 – $1,098.50 View products
Slavery in America Interactive Notebook Unit$24.95 Add to cart
Spanish Explorers Interactive Notebook Unit$24.95 Add to cart
7th Grade Texas History Curriculum$898.50 – $1,098.50 View products