The Southwest States features five nonfiction informational text lessons with engaging higher and lower level hands-on activities to provide students with an in-depth study of the four Southwest States – Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
Students will explore the history of each Southwest State’s first people, early explorers, famous colonists and leaders, early government, important battles and wars, and each state’s journey to statehood.
The Southwest States includes a balanced mix of lower and higher level hands-on activities that focus on:
- questions after each lesson – assessing informational text comprehension
- language skills activities – reinforcing literacy in Social Studies
- Southwest States research and puzzle activity
- mapping skills – using lines of longitude, latitude, equator, and prime meridian
- mapping skills – utilizing cardinal and intermediate directions
- Abraham Lincoln biography – thought-provoking discussion questions to stimulate critical thinking
- grid math activities – number and letter pairs to solve a mystery puzzle
- journal writing activity – writing entries about life on the Trail of Tears
- scale mapping – using scale rulers to measure the route traveled by Spanish conquistador Francisco Coronado through the Southwest
- vocabulary and states/capitals quizzes
Context-appropriate Glossary, Answer pages, and Grading Rubrics included!
The Southwest States is one of 8 titles in our US Regions Series. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire US REGIONS BUNDLE.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!
© 2019-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Splash! Publications • Created by Teachers • It Just Makes Sense.
If you like our Southwest States Unit, please leave us a review. A huge thanks in advance!