Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Westward Expansion Interactive Notebook Unit
TEN Westward Expansion Lessons (317 pages) of Nonfiction Informational Text with a balanced mix of engaging hands-on activities + TWENTY INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ASSIGNMENTS to explore the Louisiana Purchase, the Lewis and Clark Expedition, the Gold Rush, famous trails West, as well as conflicts including the Texas Revolution and the Mexican War:
Lesson 1: The New World
Lesson 2: The Louisiana Purchase
Lesson 3: The Lewis and Clark Expedition
Lesson 4: The Santa Fe Trail
Lesson 5: The Pacific Northwest
Lesson 6: The Texas Revolution
Lesson 7: The Oregon Trail
Lesson 8: The Mexican War
Lesson 9: The Gold Rush
Lesson 10: Westward Transportation
WESTWARD EXPANSION ACTIVITIES:
• Questions after each lesson to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• thought-provoking Discussion Questions to stimulate Critical Thinking
• Scale Mapping – Trace the route of the Pony Express
• Expository Writing and Research Projects – Primary/Secondary Sources
• Journal Writing utilizing Close Reading Skills
• Compare and Contrast Paragraphs – John C. Fremont and Kit Carson
• Lewis and Clark KWLH Charts + Expository Writing
• Westward Expansion Vocabulary Activities and Quizzes
Students will then use the Westward Expansion Content to complete TWENTY Interactive Notebook Assignments. All patterns and step-by-step instructions included:
• THREE One-Pocket Vocabulary Organizers
• THREE Vocabulary Foldables
• TWO Vocabulary Flap Books
• TWO Vocabulary Booklets
• New World Four-Fold Organizer
• Louisiana Purchase Cause and Effect Organizers
• Zebulon Montgomery Pike Journal and Booklet
• Daniel Boone Find the Fib Game and Two-Pocket Organizer
• Pacific Northwest Interactive Expert’s Journal
• Texas Revolution Interactive Time Line
• Famous Trails Flip Book
• Interactive Venn Diagram (John C. Fremont and Kit Carson)
• Gold Rush Accordion Foldable
• Pocket Time Line (George Custer and Sitting Bull)
During their study of Westward Expansion, students will take an in-depth look at biographies of famous trail blazers Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Daniel Boone, Robert Gray, Andrew Jackson, George Washington Bush, John C. Fremont, Kit Carson, George Custer, and Sitting Bull.
We’ve included a context-appropriate Glossary, Answer Pages, and Grading Rubrics for the higher-level Interactive Notebook and Writing Assignments.
Westward Expansion, aligned with the 3rd-5th Grade READING, WRITING, and LANGUAGE Standards is one of NINE units in our American History Interactive Notebook Series.Purchase this Unit separately or save money and get FREE SHIPPING by purchasing one of our AMERICAN HISTORY BUNDLES OR CLASSROOM PACKAGES.
Download the Westward Expansion Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, Standard Alignment, as well as sample Lessons and Activities.
FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum order!